Swatching is not my favourite thing but I am always glad when I do. Inevitably the design will need to be changed and in some cases like this one even the project!
I cast on about 20 stitches and then threw in a couple of YO,K1,YO to see what it would look like.
I started with a 5mm needle and garter stitch. It was alright but didn't really appeal to me. So I got out a 4mm needle and tried again. As you can see I incorporated a few eyelet holes to get the feel of how the lace would look. I have come to the conclusion that garter stitch doesn't work for me. So I tried stocking stitch.
That's better. It is softer and lighter looking than the garter stitch. Looks like I am about to change the pattern too. I am having second thoughts about the pi shawl. I really want to make one but it's the garter stitch thing again. I finished the second pneumonia vest. I just have a "turkish carpet" of ends to weave in and I am garter stitched out!
Back to the Lace Project: I found this marvelous pattern for a Celtic Knot Stole.
The only thing I might do differently would be to continue the edging all the way around., not just on the ends. We will see.