Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Pneumonia Prevention Vests

As I have mentioned in my blog, Myfanwys' Journal , a little charity knitting is good for the soul. I am well on my way to finishing vest #5. When I knit the first one I thought I would never finish. I wanted to purl a row all the time. Once I got my fingers trained it just flew along. I thought I would pass along some of the adjustments I have made to the original pattern. Sizing is not crucial, children come in all shapes and sizes and these are meant to be more functional than stylish. Having said that, feel free to experiment with colour and play around with garter stitch. The odd row of stocking stitch gives it some depth but keeps the denseness of the finished fabric.

I originally cast on 66 stitches. I found that varying this by 6 stitches would alter the finished vest by a size. The smallest I have knit was 48 stitches wide, adjust the length accordingly better a little longer than too short.

Here is the pattern :

4.5 mm needle ( I knit loosley) if your "normal" use a 5 mm, if your "uptight" you better go to a 5.5mm (*grin)

3 balls Bernat Satin or 2 balls Paton's Canadiana Yarn...if only one colour...more colours the more yarn you will need...(all those ends doncha know) This yarn is nice and soft, if the yarn is too scratchy don't use it. Would you want to wear it?? Must be washable!!

Cast on 66(60)[48] stitches and knit every row for 134(128)[94] rows (that's 67(64)[47] ridges on the front and 67(64)[47] ridges on the inside). Now knit across 22(20)[16] stitches and cast off the next 22(20)[16] stitches then knit to the end of the row. Turn. Place the first 22(20)[16] stitches on a hank of waste yarn we will pick them up later. Knit the 22(20)[16] stitches remaining on the needle for 32(28)[20] rows (16(14)[10] ridges). Put these stitches on a hank of waste yarn. Go back to the other 22(20)[16] stitches and put them on the needles and joining a new ball of yarn knit 32(28)[20] rows on them. This first row should be knit from the neck toward the side or you will end up with a big "ditch" on one side. When this is done knit across the 22(20)[16] stitches, you just knit, cast on 22(20)[16] stitches and knit across the 22(20)[16] stitches on the waste yarn. Voila! you have just created the neck opening. Keep knitting on these 66(60)[48] stitches until you have 67(64)[47] ridges or 134(128)[94] rows the same as the other side. Fold it over and sew up the 50(48)[36] ridges on the side seams. These leaves a generous arm hole for ease of wearing. Weave in the ends. NO KNOTS please.
I knit the toddler size (48 stitches) one Saturday during a marathon movie watching session during a snowstorm. Like I was not going out that!


If you can't knit without looking at your hands teach yourself! It is very satisfying to crank out row after row while watching TV and the man in my life is so impressed!
~MuM~

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thankyou for putting the vest pattern on I will knit some.I am 79 and need to do something useful.Kind regards,
Dorothy (North Wales)

Susan said...

Why Dorothy, you are most welcome and bless your heart for knitting one.
~ Susan

Aussie Maria said...

Just what I have been looking for. I do knitting/crocheting for charity and have had a real urge to knit vests for children, just wanted something super simple like this - perfect and thank you for sharing the pattern

Cathy said...

Cathy in Kitchener Ontario
I have knitted many p.vests I was further encouraged by a picture I saw on my eye doctors office of his regular visits to Guatemala of 2 little girls wearing the vests, most of the patterns are pretty much the same but you explained in deeper detail, I often wonder how big I can go with these vests cause I have a lot of #4 wool that I could also use, I have knitted mainly #3 cause I like knitting with 3.75, 4 needles comfortabley , most of my vests are 10, 11, 13 inches across and I wonder if I am getting too big.

August 16, 2018 at 2:45 pm.