Friday, January 18, 2008

The 17 year old sweater

I was rooting around in my yarn closet and came across this basket once again. It is a sweater I started about 17 years ago made out of Philosopher's Wool from a Kaffe Fassett pattern.

I remember deciding to knit the sleeves separately because the idea of having that many stitches all at once was quite intimidating. At some point I have lost the other sleeve and part of the front....but then I do have a faint recollection of ripping the front apart one day in a pique because the the tension in the kitting sucked.

It's sad really because I will probably never finish it now. It's not that there is anything wrong with the pattern or the yarn. Both are quite lovely but over the years I have decided that I detest Intarsia and Fair Isling. It's just not my thing.
I love Cables. For me they make knitting go by quickly, and they're fun. I can memorize the pattern and go on, but working with colours... That requires my looking at the pattern for every row and constantly detangling the yarn, and making sure the yarn isn't carried too tight across the back and that the stitches stay uniform. UGH! Not my thing.

Of course haveing said that I have promise to make my husband another sweater similar to his favourite. Which has lots of Fair Isle at the top of the sleeves and over the shoulders. He's lucky I love him enough to put myself through all that. LOL

~Daughter~

No comments: