Saturday, November 1, 2008

C'est Fini!!!



The knitting on my Mystery Shawl is all done. Tomorrow mum is going to stop by and lend me her blocking wires. (but, just for a short time because she will be finished hers soon as well.) Then I can block it out and take another picture. Still it's nice to have the bulk of the work done.


On the other end of the project spectrum, I picked up an interesting ball of yarn the other day from my local. I like the colours and the feel of it. It’s made from soysilk and I thought the idea of tofu socks was good for a joke. My idea was to pass it on to mum and beg her to knit them up for me because I hate knitting on socks.

One problem, it may be the last thing she ever makes me.

The yarn is Tofutsies and is a blend of
50% Superwash Wool
25% SOYSILK brand fiber
22.5% Cotton
2.5% Chitin (made from shrimp and crab shells! Naturally Antibacterial)

It’s that 2.5% that concerns me. Mum is DEATHLY allergic to shell fish. Makes me wonder if she would have a reaction by knitting with it? It’s not like she will be sucking on the yarn… but then this is a woman who can tell if you cooked you fries in the same oil as shrimp, because she has a reaction as soon as the fry hit her tongue.

So, Mummy gets to play guinea pig *G* with me and her honeybunny watching very carefully. She’s going to hold on to the ball for a while and see if she has any sort of reaction. Has anyone else knit with a product that they are allergic to? Anything happen to you?


~Daughter #1

No comments: