Sunday, May 4, 2008

Textured Knitting


Every knitter has their favourite aspects of the craft. I have to say this is my preferred style of knitting. I love texture in my work. Lots of cables or funky stitch patterns are the best. Currently I am working with a fingering weight yarn. Normally, I wouldn't touch the stuff, too fine for my patience level, but this pattern is worked in 4mm needles so that makes it ok. I was hoping the picture would turn out better but if you look closely you can see. This is a very simple pattern that adds amazing dimension to the piece.

row 1: (K1, K1 in stitch below) repeat to end
row 2: Purl
row 3: K1,(K1, K1 in stitch below) repeat
row 4: Purl
row 5-8: repeat rows 1-2
row 9: K1, (yrnfw, k2tog) repeat to end
row 10: Purl

That is all there is to it and it is gorgeous. The constant changing of stitch size and placement helps the colours to blend nicely. It's a variegated yarn but I shouldn't get too much colour bunching. Knitting in the stitch below makes it look like a moss stitch only there isn't any purl stitches on the front. I can't wait to see it finished.

No comments: