Monday, February 4, 2008

Felting

Ok so this is my second attempt at felting. I'm not a master at it by any means and to be honest I'm not all that much of a fan. I mean to put so much work into making something big, just to shrink it? But still I try because I can't resist.

Started out with fun funky yarn and a skull pattern to make myself a knitting bag. I did it in one piece decreasing a bit at the bottom so it would sit flat. Originally the plan was to felt it and block it into a proper rectangle.
Here it is finished. The vase is there just to give you a size gage.I chucked the whole thing into my washer on HOT with a bit of soap. I was keeping an eye on it, scooping out sloating fibers but then got distracted so it went through a spin cycle. I hope all that fuzz didn't FUBAR my washer. I set it back to wash filled it up with hot and stood there, checking it and putting it back to agitate before it went to spin. All in all I think it agitated for at least 30 minutes. I got bored and called it quits at that point.This is it after felting. A bit fuzzy then I would have liked but I guess I could take a shaver to it. What was strange is that the strap didn't felt all that much. Wierd eh? I forgot to make holes for the straps so I was going to have to sew them on. Then hope they never rip out. But if I hammered grommets into it and then picked up some binder clips I can wrap the strap through those and it will hold tight. <What is really cool is if I run out of room, I can release the two centre grommets and that makes the bag wider. In the picture above you can see that I have it tight on one side and open on the other.

Now I had to figure out what I was going to do with it. Ran out to the grocery store and a light bulb came on when I was in the produce section. It's a Market Bag. The big trend now is to recycle you bags and bring cloth bags to the gorcery store and all. Well this is now my bag if I go to the outdoor market for fruits and veg. Or any kind of market for that matter.
Still not big on the felting but I like my bag. I really like the skull LOL
~Daughter~

No comments: